STEMtasticsScience is Elementary
STEMtastics: Calling our youngest scientists!
Now more than ever, skills in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) are highly sought after in the world of problem solving. It is never too soon to foster your child’s growing love of learning for science and math! So, let’s tap into our children’s natural curiosity and creativity to explore, experiment, and examine the world around us. If your little scientist is 6-11 years old please join us for STEMtastics!
The STEMtastics program is broken down into topical units, and we offer multiple units throughout the year. Each unit includes:
Four, one-hour sessions where students are exposed to various subtopics within topical theme.
A junior version of our Innovation Learning Pathways (ILP) program for older students.
The ILP component is designed to guide independent study for more advanced students who want to extend what they are learning in the lab session. Please note that some work will be required outside of the scheduled class time.
Students that participate in the lab component of a unit can choose to apply to the ILP component as well. Specifically, the ILP component will require that students:
- Remain for an additional hour at the end of each lab session
- Attend a fifth session per unit, dedicated to ILP work
All ILP participants during a semester will be invited to present their work at the end of the semester along with older ILP students.
Eligibility and Guidelines
Requirements and guidelines include:
- Age requirements:
- Lab component – Students aged 6-11 are invited to participate.
- ILP component – Students aged 8-11 are welcome to apply. (Note: Younger children with a strong interest in the topic and capacity for independent work will be considered on a case by case basis.)
- Your child would gain the most benefit from the experience if he or she is able to read and perform basic math skills at a second-grade level or above.
- Please note that this is NOT a drop-off class. Since our class members are so young, we ask that parents remain on site and attentive to the needs of their children.
Spring 2017 Schedule and Locations
Come explore covalent bonds with us in our Chemical Bonding unit at our Circle C location! Beginning in March, we will take a deeper look into how atoms work together to construct everything we see. What is an electron, and why is it important in bonding? What makes a molecule stable? At our Anderson Mill location, we will discover how and why scientists classify (and sometimes reclassify) living organisms in our Taxonomy unit. Is a dolphin more like a human or a fish? Why? Can modern genetics help us understand the history of evolution? Come find out!
(10:00 am - 11:00 am)
(11:00 am - noon)
|ILP presentation session
(10:00 am - 11:00 am)
|Chemical Bonding||1/22, 1/29, 2/12, 2/26 at the Jollyville Fire Department||1/22, 1/29, 2/12, 2/26 at the Jollyville Fire Department||3/4, from 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm at the Asian American Resource Center|
|Taxonomy||3/26, 4/9, 4/23, 5/7 at the Jollyville Fire Department||3/26, 4/9, 4/23, 5/7 at the Jollyville Fire Department||5/13 at the Asian American Resource Center|
- The Jollyville Fire Department is located at 9218 Anderson Mill Road, Austin, TX 78729
- The Asian American Resource Center is located at 8401 Cameron Road, Austin, TX 78754
(2:00 pm - 3:00 pm)
(3:00 pm - 4:00 pm)
|ILP presentation session|
|Newtonian Physics||1/22, 1/29, 2/12, 2/26 at Circle C Xplor||Coming soon!||Coming soon!|
|Chemical Bonding||3/26, 4/9, 4/23, 5/7 at Circle C Xplor||3/26, 4/9, 4/23, 5/7 at Circle C Xplor||5/13 at the Asian American Resource Center|
- Circle C Xplor is located at 5915 LaCrosse Ave, Austin, TX, 78739
Application and Fees
Unit 1 (Jan - Feb) or Unit2 (Mar - May), Lab Component Only $30
Unit 1 and Unit 2 (Jan - May), Lab Component Only $40
ILP Component Add $10 per unit
|Location||Unit||Applications open||Application deadline||Notification deadline|
|Anderson Mill||Taxonomy||March 1||March 15||March 18|
|Circle C||Chemical Bonding||March 1||March 15||March 18|